Monday, August 8, 2011

July 28

Most of today I stayed in and wrote my paper on the 1980-1990 Yugoslavia political scene. It’s chaotic, depressing, and an overall ugly paper. I’ve learned a lot but not proud of my work. I’m stuck obsessing over the writing and form, as well as lost on citations because most of my information I’ve gotten from documentaries and meetings throughout the trip.

Although I spent most of the day in I did take a couple short breaks to walk around Mostar. This city is absolutely beautiful, and you can almost feel the history coursing through it. At four we had a meeting with the Croat Democratic Youth Party. It was pretty interesting. I took this dialogue to open my mind up to not only the Balkans, but politics as well. I really hate politics though. It just doesn’t make much sense to me, or it does, but it makes me really sad. I understand the differences between people and parties, but sometimes I can’t believe that no one gets along. Especially here, where it’s so complicated and based on ethnic and religious differences. These guys were also extremely racist towards others and defensive towards their kind. Given, the Croatian minorities in Mostar are overlooked and usually not accounted for even in democratic elections. But, they were also ragging on the Chinese and Middle Eastern immigrants here. It was awkward.

Later that day some friends and I went to get dinner. We awkwardly went to five different restaurants looking for food, but a lot of places either serve drinks only or only serve food at ceratin times. Finally, after finding a place with food and a decent menu we settled on a place overlookgin the river and old bridge. I got a delicious mushroom and French fries platter. It doesn’t sound all the great, but it was. There was a side of really creamy delicious cheese that complimented the mushrooms fantastically. And French fries also go really well with mushrooms… who knew? Anyways, I was happy and fulfilled and that’s hard to come by with me + food in Balkans. The main dish here is Cevapi, which is a pita, sausages and onions. I can’t believe how thin the people are here.

That night we went to Ali Baba. It was a club in a cave. I don’t really like clubs, but it was an experience and almost the whole group was there which made it fun. Nothing really to say about it except that the walls where rock, and like everywhere in Europe house music was playing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment