Monday, August 8, 2011

July 18


Today we saw the archeological ruins of Constantine’s home. I was really confused by the information… someone said he was born there.. but late they showed us a sort of map where his council took place and where he was greeted by visitors. I’m sure back then, home offices were as normal as they are today, so I guess it was both a governmental building and where he and his children were raised. Unfortuantely, a lot of the awesome stuff they had found digging wasn’t there. IT had been moved to a museum and would be on display after digging was over and funding had been received, all of which is hoped to be achieved by 2013. We saw a general layout of the place and you really had to use your imagination but I got the picture. Serbs loved that they bore a Roman emperor. One of the best, no less. 

We also saw the tower of skulls. That’s a messed up piece of history. I was also confused about this story because I can never hear or understand what people are saying. I’ve always sort of had poor hearing and this trip really capitalizes on that. The story is something like the Turks killed thousands of Serbs during a war and then made the survivors build a tower of the dead’s skulls, then politicized that tower as a sick and inhuman construct that the Serbs willingly made. I’m missing major details, but that’s what I got after a long bus ride in the heat, a small room with skulls looking at you, and thirty people in front of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment