Monday, August 8, 2011

July 14- Dinner Cruise




Today we went on a dinner cruise on Northeastern’s bill. It was a beautiful outing with the group. We saw where the Sava met the Danube under twilight. I had an absolutely terrible beer… the worst. I don’t know what the hell was wrong with it. It was self-brewed… and I mean we were on a boat, so I guess that explains a lot. It was just terrible. I don’t know much about beer, but I know it has to do with color, clarity and taste. This draft had none of the above. We met some Australians, French, and half Serbians… they agreed. Some things speak just universally. Now I know beer is one of them. These guys we met were nice. You could tell they weren’t from Serbia because they dressed really well. I don’t mean to sound mean, but the men in Serbia mostly dress in t-shirts and denim Capri pants. I personally, do not find that attractive. I don’t want to focus on the negative, because the ride was really nice. It was a beautiful night out with the group. We listened to some “turbo-folk.” Turbo-folk is a European phenomenon. It’s sort of a cross between… well, geez I don’t know. A friend described it as house, or video game jams, combined with sing-a-long lyrics. That’s a great way to put it because the music is fast in tempo and everyone sings along. On this boat, we had an older gentleman, quite possibly the captain, just singing/mumbling lyrics in a karaoke microphone while a strobe light of green celestial dots danced across the entire boat. They played Frank Sinatra’s “On Broadway” at the beginning and end of the trip. The second time it was dedicated to us. It was absurd but charming night.
It got better. After that a group of us went to Freestyler, the main barge club in Beograd. It was like any other club, loud, expensive, flashy, but overall a really good time. It was a must-do in Beograd.

No comments:

Post a Comment